A mega-comeback is preparing in Formula 1. The sensational Red Bull plan: Kimi Räikkönen (31) should drive next year next to Sebastian Vettel!
11.07.2011 – 23:00
By HELMUT UHL and DOROTHEA JANTSCHKE
Everything is still top secret! But BILD learnt: at the highest level, the Finnish world champion from 2007 (with Ferrari) is being touted as the successor of Mark Webber (34).
? Kimi Räikkönen left the Formula 1 in 2009. Since then he’s driving rallies for Citroën. His main sponsor there is – Red Bull. The Finn has a contract until the end of 2012 with the beverage manufacturer. Already in 2010, Kimi was in conversations with the bosses to be Vettel’s team-mate, but he wanted to keep on rallying. Now he seems to have changed his mind.
? Red Bull Motorsports-boss Helmut Marko told BILD two weeks ago: “Webber wants to drive in 2012 for us. But we have other options. I don’t want to talk about it now. “
? Webber himself has upset the bosses with his resistance against the team orders on Sunday at Silverstone (“Stay behind Vettel” – but he kept on pushing). He must report. Webber: “If they want to fire me, I have to accept that.”
? Young drivers like Daniel Ricciardo (22/HRT) or Sebastien Buemi (22/Toro Rosso) are not ready yet. Marko: “We need a second winning driver to win the Constructors’ Championship. It brings a lot of money. “
? McLaren’s world champion Lewis Hamilton (26), who had brought himself into play at Red Bull, got rejected by the top boss Dietrich Mateschitz: “He definitely doesn’t drive for us.”
But very likely Räikkönen! He recently confided to a Finnish journalist: “I have never said that my Formula 1 career is over.”
And, Vettel and Räikkönen are friends. To the serious question, whom he would like as a teammate, Vettel recently said: “Kimi.”